Monday, October 20, 2014

Setting up my MicroAquarium

I started my term project by obtaining an MicroAquarium which was just a small glass box, essentially, that was about two millimeters thick, about 5 or 6 centimeters wide, and around 3 or 4 centimeters tall.

The first addition to the aquarium was from Holston River along John Sevier Highway. I started by getting a solid layer of mud from the bottom and then tried to fill the aquarium close to the top with water.

I then added some Amblestegium varium, which is a moss.

We then took a look under the microscope. I carefully mounted the aquarium onto my microscope and looked for moving organisms. What I found was pretty remarkable. This one creature I saw under 10x zoom(or 100 times zoom). The creature looked strikingly like a canoe. It's movements were odd, sort of, quick shifts in one direction. It was located near the moss and was quite fascinating.

Hopefully larger creatures develop going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment