Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Blog for 11/06/14

For this observation I saw a few different things. The first and most obvious was the decay of the Midge I had previously discovered from the Food Pallet Observation. As can be seen by the image below. My beloved midge is now being eaten by a colony of Rotifers. In all likelihood, I will not be able to see what remains of my midge next week.
I wasn't able to get any clear images of the rotifers but I was able to identify two of them as Monostyla and Philodina. The philodinas look like little hot dogs that can contort their bodies any which way they please, where as the monostyla look like little orbs with a tail. (Stemberger 1979) (Pennack 1953)

Below, is a picture of another Tachysoma I found this week. However this tachysoma was far quicker than the one I captured last week. In fact, I took over 20 snaps of this tachysoma before I could get this half-focused shot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment