Monday, November 24, 2014

Final observation

For my final observation I saw a lot less living things. I observed many carcasses of my old animals. Sadly, my midge was no longer visible in any form. And it appeared most of the rotifers living off of it dispersed or died as well. However, I did find some interesting species, nonetheless. 

Sidenote: I lost my hard-drive which contained all the pictures I took this week. So I will supplement them with less personal pictures off of the interweb. 

The first creature I saw was a Diatom Pleurosigma angulatum. This Diatom has sort of a canoe-like shape with a sort of central orb(nucleus?) in the middle. The movements however were different from a Navicula, which looks similar. While the Navicula moves almost entirely in one motion, this Diatom clearly had a tail and a head. (Turtox 1937)
(Gouda 2011)
The second creature I saw was a member of the genus, Chaetonotus, which is a member of the phylum, Gastrotricha. This critter was very hard to capture under the lens. It was very quick and very agile. It had what I thought to be two antennas, but I now believe they are a part of the tail. (Thorp and Covich 2010)
(Proyecto Agua. 2009)

I then saw an Euplotes, a freshwater protozoa. I believe I had seen one the week before but it disappeared before I could capture it and ask Dr. McFarland what it was. It was impossible to capture it in full focus due to its dimensionality. So I wasn't surprised when I googled it and none of the pictures that showed up were totally in focus. I assume due to its thin skin, light shines through this species very easily, thus making it's inner organs quite visible. (Patterson 1996)
 (Rotkiewicz P. 2003-2008)
I then saw another rotifer but I won't bother writing about it. However, after I saw this Rotifer, I thought I was done with the project. Then, Dr. McFarland stopped me and pointed out that I hadn't take any pictures of the algae, since they are in fact living too. So I snapped a picture of a Nodularia sp., a type of cyanobacteria. And then I got a picture of an Oscillatoria sp. Both of these protists are Algaes. (Patterson 1996)
(Kudela Lab)

(Silverside 1998)

No comments:

Post a Comment